I was craving something a little different than your typical, workaday salad–this is what I came up with.
For the salad
- 1 medium bulb of fennel, trimmed (reserve 1 tbsp fronds for garnish)
- 1 small jicama… thing (root? bulb? what is this stuff?)
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 2 spring onions
For the dressing
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 orange
- approximately 1/4 c champagne vinegar
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- pink peppercorns
- sea salt
- black sesame seeds
- flavored sea salt (I used rosemary)
- Thinly shave the fennel and jicama into a bowl. Look for a very crude ratio of approximately 2:1 fennel to jicama.
- Slice the peppers thinly; marinate/quick pickle the slices in champagne vinegar for 15-20 minutes. Drain vinegar and then toss peppers and thinly sliced onions (includng green portion) into the fennel and jicama.
- Juice the lemon and orange into a container; the juice should total roughly 1/4 cup. Add champagne vinegar to total 1/2 cup.
- Add the egg whites, 1 tsp of ground pink peppercorns and sea salt to taste; whisk briskly while adding the vegetable oil to create an emulsion.
- Toss the fennel/jicama/pepper/onion mixture with dressing. There will be extra dressing left over–reserve (it’s delicious!).
- Serve immediately, or even better, allow salad to marinate in dressing overnight in the refrigerator.